Shani Shinganapur ( शनी शिंगणापुर ) or Shingnapur or Sonai (सोनाई) is a village in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Situated in Nevasa taluka in Ahmednagar district, the village is known for its popular temple of Shani, the Hindu god associated with the planet (graha) Saturn. Shingnapur is 35 km from Ahmednagar city.
The presiding deity of Shinganapur, Sri Shaneshwara or Lord Shanidev- the personification of the planet Saturn is worshipped with utmost reverence and devotion by multitudes of people from all over the world. The spectacle of the deity in black stone is overwhelming. A unique aspect of this place is, that no temple structure houses the Shanidev. There is only a simple platform on which stands the swayambhu idol, in black stone.
Unlike other pilgrimage centres, devotees here can perform puja or abhishek or other religious rituals themselves.
One of the unique aspects of the village Shiganapur is that houses here have no door- frames or locks on them for safety. They are in fact not needed. The people here believe that it is the benediction of the god that no crime ever occurs in this village.Shri Dattatraya Temple and the tomb of Sant Shri Udasi Baba are the nearby attractions.
By road, Shani Shignapur is linked with Aurangabad (68 km) and Shirdi (70 km). Ahmednagar Railway Station is the nearest railhead
Shirdi To Shani Shignapur Route
1 h 33 min (72.6 km) via NH160 and MH SH 66 This route has tolls.
- Shirdi, Maharashtra
- Head west on Shirdi-Puntamba Rd/Shrirampur-Shirdi towards Pimpalwadi Rd Pass by Tirth Prasad Lodge (on the right)
- Turn left onto NH160 Pass by SKG’s Saisiddhi HP Petroleum (on the left in 2.3 km)
- Turn left onto Rahuri to Shani Shingnapur Rd/MH SH 66.Continue to follow MH SH 66.Pass by Bank Of Maharashtra (on the left in 18.9 km)
- Slight left onto Sonai – Shani Shinganapur Rd Partial toll road
- Shani shignapur, Maharashtra
Shani Shingnapur is about 75 km from Shirdi and it takes close to two hours to reach Shani Shingnapur from Shirdi. Besides the buses, shared taxis (Tata Sumo, Tata Ace…etc) are also available from Shirdi for Shani Shingnapur at regular intervals